Thursday, July 17, 2014

Exercise update


Awhile back, I wrote that I gave in to temptation and finally decided to join a gym. I had held back for years, insisting that I wouldn't ever spend that kind of money when there are so many avenues for me to exercise for free.

Well...I have another confession to make. After 6 months of joining, I decided to sell the membership to a friend. This is not because I wasn't finding value in it; I changed jobs and the gym was just too far away for me to travel to after work.

So I'm back to being 'gym-less', and now I'm considerably less fit and have put on weight. Thinking back on 2013, I had clear fitness goals which I wanted to reach, I had big running events and adventure races to build towards, and also the fact that I had spent money on a gym membership for the first time in my life was significant.

This year, all these motivation factors have essentially been removed and I've lost a lot of my focus. The only thing I've managed to do is to maintain a routine of exercising twice a week but many times when I'm not feeling up to it, I just cruise through 20 minutes on auto-pilot and then stop.

A recent event which did allow me to get a good run out has been the yearly inter-church sport carnival of which I took part in the basketball again. Last year, we didn't even manage to get past the group stages, so it was pretty exciting that we managed to go all the way this year and take the gold.



But now that it's over, I'm going to have to find new things to get myself back on track.

The first thing I've done is to sign up for the Mizuno Run coming up in late August. Although I had decided not to do any runs this year, I saw that my dad had signed up and I wanted to support him, so we've both signed up for the 10k.

The next one coming up is this year's Viper Challenge which happens in November. I thoroughly had fun on this adventure run last year and decided to sign up straightaway when they announced they would do it again this year.

Aside from these events, I'm going to have to find a better weekly routine to build my strength and endurance, and increase my target to minimum 3 workouts a week. I think I'm going to focus more on strength because I don't have enough motivation to start up linear cardio activities at this point.

Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment