Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The new place


I finally got the keys to the apartment on Sunday afternoon.

And to be honest, I foolishly thought that it would be relatively straightforward and simple to set things up and move in.

Upon entering into the apartment, it was rather obvious that the previous tenants had not taken care of the place all that well. Not that there was any heavy damage but the wear and tear was significant in every corner of the place.

We decided to repaint the walls and some of the ceilings. That was the correct decision.

I decided to do it myself with the help of a few friends. That was probably not the best decision.

A contact of mine had told me she could get some workers to do the painting for an extremely low labour cost of RM120 and they could finish within a day. The only problem was that they had busy schedules and would only be able to work on it a week or two later.

Being extremely patient, I decided to just do it and proceeded to start painting the afternoon I received the keys.

In the morning before that I proceeded to buy the paint and painting tools – I don’t know what possessed me to believe that 12 litres of paint would be sufficient for the entire apartment.

Based on current progress, we will be requiring 28 litres. We have already spent RM1,000 on paint and equipment (suddenly the RM120 for the labour cost seems more and more tiny).

There’s still the furniture moving from the old apartment to the new home which will require movers. And the wife wants to renovate the bathroom and kitchen.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so far off in my estimations. I thought we could finish painting in 2 days and then move in with minimal fuss and set up.

Now it’s looking like a lot more time and a lot more money.

This is what happens when you’re married. Never ever forget to account for the woman.

0 comments:

Post a Comment