Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Viper Challenge training update



It’s been awhile since I wrote about anything remotely related to fitness but I’ve been trying to maintain regular exercise even though my energy levels have been somewhat drained after the birth of my second daughter one month ago.

The Standard Chartered Marathon has been postponed to 29 September because of the haze and so the next event to train for is Viper Challenge which takes place 17 and 18 August. Instead of purely focusing on running, I have to change my routine to incorporate more strength training since the most challenging aspects of the event will be in the obstacles and not the distance.

Yesterday, a group of us met in the park to begin our Viper Challenge preparation. We decided to make it more cross-fit style and got one of our friends who goes to ‘Bootcamp’ to take us through some of the basic routines.

This is what I got through in a 45-minute session:
  • 2 x 2km run: Warm up and cool down runs sandwiching the workouts listed below
  • 16 sets of stairs with 80m runs between each one
  • 3 sets of basic circuit (with no rest in between)comprising: 10 burpees, 8 cross jacks, 6 jumping jacks, 4 plank jacks, 2 push up burpees, 50m run (repeat)

There was a stronger focus on cardio and lower body training, and I’ll be looking to incorporate more upper body strength training in the future workouts to have a balanced approach. At the same time, I tend to have already done training on my lower body from my running and basketball sessions, and so my upper body has a ton of catching up to do!

1.5 months to go...I’m looking forward to future sessions!

0 comments:

Post a Comment