Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Viper Challenge 2013

It's been a rather impulsive year for me so far in terms of going for physical events. I've just signed up for the Viper Challenge which is a grueling 20km course filled with man-made obstacles. It takes place on 17-18 August and will be held at the Sepang International Circuit, organised by Original Bootcamp Sdn Bhd. You can get the registration form from their official page, and get details and updates from their Facebook page. Or you can check out their promotional video.

Last year, I saw some Tough Mudder event videos on Youtube and was immediately inspired to want to try it out, wondering when it would come to Malaysia. So when this event came up, I signed up without any hesitation and even though it's not as extreme as Tough Mudder, I know that I will need to do some serious training and preparation to get into shape to even survive and finish the event. Check out the video below if you're not convinced.


There are no medals and no trophies. No one technically 'wins' the event and it is not even considered a race. No one even checks whether you went go the obstacles or just walk around the ones you are not keen to do. It's about surviving it, helping those around you, and receiving help. It's about teamwork and camaraderie, whether you signed up as part of a team or even as an individual working with strangers around you. It's about crawling past the finish line knowing that you went through a tough, tough course...and made it.

There are 20 obstacles during the course to overcome:
  • Jump Platform
  • Dusty Trench Crawl
  • Barb Wire Crawl
  • Through Tube
  • M Wall
  • Container Climb
  • Ice Jump
  • Hill Slide
  • Over Under Walls
  • Tyre Run
  • Bars Over Water
  • Log Jumps
  • Trench Crawl
  • On The Wire
  • Trench Pool
  • Balance Beam
  • Pyramid Tree
  • Corrugated Tunnel
  • Incline Wall
  • Cargo Net

Over the next week or two, I'm going to be thinking through a training program that hopefully gets me more ready for the event based on the different obstacles. I'm definitely going to need to work on my balance which is terrible, continue doing some strength conditioning on the upper and lower body in the gym, and continue building endurance through my runs. At the same time, I'm going to need to build in more plyometric and calisthenics in areas with outdoor exercise equipment, usually situated next to parks, because they seem to be the type of exercises used in the obstacles.

Wish me luck! Anyone wish to join me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment