Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How to survive a Zombie Run


As the event hasn’t happened yet, I can’t really say that I’m an authority on this topic but when I Googled this topic, there wasn’t any useful advice I could find at all. The only information I could find was on promotional material for other similar events happening in different countries which did not contain any relevant tips.

So I’m going to potentially break this down into two parts: Firstly, to look at how I’m trying to prepare for the event and then, if I don’t die embarrassingly fast, to provide real-life experience and advice. Of course, if you don’t find a Part 2 to this post soon, well…you know what happened.

So what do I think is important to be prepared?


1. Cardio is key. If you watched Zombieland, there was a lot of emphasis on making sure you could last the distance. Even if you are able to escape the first chase, there’s no point if you have no more juice left in the tank by the time you get through the course. So the team has been trying to meet for some jogging sessions and we’ve managed a grand total of two sessions!

2. Speed is going to be as important. You may have the stamina to run a marathon but if you can’t go any faster than my grandma’s walking speed, you won’t even survive the first chase. Our team tried some sprint training…we ran and one of the team member’s boyfriend chased us around. Oh yeah, we’re ready.

3. Do your research – learn the rules so you don’t get disqualified and try to scout out the venue if you can. For a moment, I thought about stopping by the paintball park before the event…then got lazy and just browsed the pictures they uploaded on the Zombie Run Facebook page.

4. Be in peak physical condition. This is not just about staying fit but staying injury free, getting enough sleep and eating well in the few days before the event. For example, on Monday, I pushed myself too hard working out and strained both calf muscles…don’t be like me. At least it gives me time to recover and I’ve already committed to stay away from basketball and futsal this week. I’m also going to buy bananas to eat before the run and make sure that I stretch and warm up prior because there’s no point cramping up or pulling something in the first sprint itself!

5. Work out your strategy with your team first. I’ve got two extra life straps to distribute when anyone gets ‘killed’ but the prizes for your team are only activated if at least one of the team finishes alive and various tokens have been collected. Decide beforehand whether the priority is to try to ‘win’ the game or to ensure that those who die first get back in the game to play along and have fun.

Three more days.


It’s weird. The closer it gets to the event, the more competitive I’m starting to feel and the desire to give it my best. Over a week ago, I didn’t feel anything about it at all except that it would be fun and I could say I took part in the first Zombie Run in Malaysia.

But right now, I have to admit: I want to win.
(Four out of five of my Zombie Run team. The guy on the right was replacing the missing member temporarily!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment