Sunday, February 10, 2013

Exercise update, Week 6


Last week I challenged myself to achieve a 'perfect week' in terms of my exercise initiative - to workout every single day in the week. It was really tough and there were days I had to start my workout at past 11pm and other days I had to wake up at 5:45am. But I did it.

Here is how the week looked.
  • Monday: 40 minutes gym
  • Tuesday: 40 minute Insanity Plyometric session
  • Wednesday: 30 minute jog
  • Thursday: 20 minutes gym
  • Friday: 45 minutes gym
  • Saturday: 11.4km run
  • Sunday: 45 minute gym

I got to do four gym sessions this week, which is exactly what I'm looking for because it gives me a better chance to build muscle mass than other workouts like running. I also got to fit in a session of Insanity, which helps me raise my stamina threshold. And I joined the BWC group for a long run on Saturday, which is particularly significant because I've just signed up for my first ever race, the Standard Chartered Marathon of which I'm running the half marathon.

For the gym sessions, I focused mainly on the two grueling workouts which my friend has taken me through, except for the 20 minute session on Thursday because the gym closes by 11pm and I only got back from worship practice that day at 10::40pm. For that session, I didn't warm up and just did a quick bicep, tricep and deltoid workout (three sets of each). I'm quite disappointed so far that I haven't been able to really get stronger in my pull ups even with regular practice - it's truly a difficult exercise move but I still have until the end of the year to do 10 proper ones at one time.

The Wednesday jog was in pouring rain. I had rushed back from work just to get a short workout in before prayer meeting and was frustrated to find that it started raining five minutes before I reached my mother-in-law's place to pick up my daughter. I waited 15 minutes, and then headed out anyway - I did not regret it as it was an awesome run. Then on Saturday, I ran together with a friend who had set up interval training in the last stretch of the run - imagine running 8km and then once you're tired, doing five intervals of 20 second sprints spaced by two minute recovery jogs. It was a lesson in perseverance but I'm glad to say that both of us pushed through and didn't stop to rest until after the finish line.

In the coming week, I'm not going to set myself a target of exercising everyday. I'll be travelling for a few of the days for a family holiday, and will be quite busy visiting friends and relatives, and eating. I will, however, commit to still maintaining my minimum three sessions a week.

I hope that I don't put on too much weight during the feasting of Chinese New Year because it would be a shame considering how much effort I've put into my workouts. Food has always been my weakness though!

0 comments:

Post a Comment