Thursday, October 31, 2013

Exercise reset


In terms of fitness, October was a month to forget. I hardly did any exercise and every single time I told my wife I was going to the gym, she would still find me in front of the TV an hour later. No matter what I tried, I just couldn’t motivate myself to get off my ass.

And the main reason is that I fell sick. After almost three years of not having a flu, I got hit with the nastiest throat infection which I’ve not recovered from for five straight weeks now. It hit right after the full marathon I ran when my body completely broke down since I didn’t train for it.

So from feeling as fit as I’ve ever been in September, which even gave me the false illusion that I could handle a full marathon, I spent October completely down and out. The only time I woke myself up from the lethargy was to crash the BSN night marathon of which I ran 21km at a slow pace.


Running a half marathon while sick may sound quite crazy but I had reasons to do so. When I ran the full marathon, I could complete the first half in my sleep at a good pace. I needed to test my body on whether I could train for the Singapore marathon coming up in December. And the answer was a resounding no. 4km into the race, I felt all the joint and ligament pains from the full marathon come again, and I struggled every step of the way to the finish line.

Therefore, I’ve decided not to run the Singapore one even though it’s been paid and planned for. I also have the 2xu run this Saturday which I’ve just decided to skip because my throat is still in a lot of pain and I really need to recover from this bug. My poor daughter has been sick the whole time as well probably from catching my bug so it’s really taken a toll on the family.

With these decisions to cancel my runs for the year, I can finally free myself from the pressure of training and start from scratch again. I don’t expect that I’ll be back on track in November but I’ll take the last two months of the year to build the foundation for how I want to start the next year and try to have a bit of fun while I’m at it.

The only thing I’m going to still try to target for the end of the year are an obstacle trail with my sister (Commando Challenge) and the fitness goals I set right at the beginning of the year.
  • 10 pull ups: I’m still stuck on 5
  • 50 push ups: I’m still stuck on 30
  • 2 minute plank: The last time I tried was 45 seconds
  • Deadlift body weight: Done
  • Finish a half marathon: Done 2 HMs and 1 FM
So back to basics again then. Pull ups, push ups and planks, which I can do from home.

Hoping for some good news come 31 December.

0 comments:

Post a Comment