Monday, April 11, 2011

The kickening



For the first time, I felt the baby's movements on Friday. The wife's been feeling this fluttering feeling in her tummy for around a week and just by chance I decided to rest my hand on her stomach before cell, and felt very distinctive taps on my hand. I asked her if she felt it and she said she thought it was my fingers tapping on her.

I mentioned it to a few people and they didn't believe that I could feel it so fast since she is only just beginning to 'show' now but I just did some research on it - you can start feeling the movements usually between the 16th and 20th week. She is now finishing her 17th week and because her frame is very slim, it's apparently easier to feel as well.

The fluttering feeling is called a quickening...but we can call it the kickening as well.

Every time a new milestone is reached in the pregnancy, I'm once again filled with an overwhelming sense of wonder at the miracle of a child in my wife. Just to feel the light taps on my fingertips and knowing that it is caused by the little swimmer in there is really such an amazing feeling.

Maybe it's time to start singing to the tummy.

I can't wait to meet her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment