Friday, April 22, 2011

Mentors


I've realised one thing recently. I need to seek out mentors for my life.

It's so hard to constantly push yourself to continue to grow as a person when you're approaching it alone.

I mean, I've read so many management, leadership and finance books, and I do what I can to be actively applying the tools and learnings but there's only so much that you can do by yourself.

Even for me to take this step to change departments and roles in my workplace took so much thought and a big leap of faith to drag me away from what I'm so comfortable with. So many times, I was tempted to stay on and just tell the relevant parties of my decision, but deep down I knew it was time.

At this point of time, I don't really have any direct mentors which I look to for advice and to help push me in the right direction. There's a very few in church whom I stay accountable to but usually only after I've prayed through and made my own decisions.

I think I'm going to need to take the initiative to find mentors and ask them to play an active role in my life going forward. Leaders who have gone through far more experiences and exposure - who can challenge me, stretch me and can be sufficiently candid to make me uncomfortable enough to change. People whom I can trust to deliver tough messages with my best long-term interests at heart.

I'm finding it hard to keep lifting these lids myself.

Is it a sign of weakness to want someone else to be helping to pry them open?

0 comments:

Post a Comment