Monday, May 9, 2011

First place

She's a real kicker, this one. I put my hand on the wife's tummy this morning and Natalie was kicking and kicking and kicking. Probably complaining that she wanted more food since we didn't get to grab much breakfast on the way out.

"Feed me now!!!"

22 weeks this week. 1 more month to the end of the second trimester. 18 more weeks before our beautiful baby girl is born.

I still find it hard to believe that there is a living human being squirming inside my wife. Even when I feel the kicks and I see the evidence of the baby bump growing steadily, it still hasn't really hit me yet on an emotional level except on very rare, random moments.

I sometimes wonder how things will change once she is born and I've heard stories of men resenting that they are no longer the central person in their wives' lives. The wives no longer wait on their every demand, no longer chase and seduce them, and no longer act like there's no place they would rather be than next to them.

I'll probably be made to eat my words later but I think that it's right I'm no longer first place and that the wife's focus should be more on the baby. Why wouldn't it be the case? After patiently carrying the baby 9 months to term, dealing with the nausea, vomitting, backaches, leg cramps and the delivery, only to experience the miracle of a new life, wouldn't a woman feel incredibly overwhelmed by the attachment and responsibility of raising her child?

At this point, I already have to release her to prioritise church and ministry at times so there's a natural progression to releasing her more once she gives birth.

I guess the question is also how she will react if she feels that another girl happens to take first place in my heart. :P

0 comments:

Post a Comment