Friday, July 15, 2011

Tenacity


One of the things I've learned about business is to have the correct balance between passion and patience.

If you've come to stage where you feel that you are ready to start a business, chances are you're pretty darn passionate. You have most likely braced yourself for the rough road ahead and have enough fire in your belly to feed the confidence and belief that you're going to succeed no matter what happens.

The place where I realised I was lacking was in patience.

I wanted to conquer the world and I wanted it now. I wanted my ideas to be executed and implemented quickly to see the fruits of my labour. I wanted to prove the doubters that I could make it against the odds.

Not too long after, I realised that energy and passion only carry you so far. I found out that there were restrictions to budget, resources, capability and skillsets which meant that many ideas couldn't be implemented yet...or in the foreseeable future if ever.

It took me awhile to understand that a business is less about having an exact, perfect road map and strategy to execute without deviation, and more about having a general, powerful vision of which you keep yourself aligned to but with flexible, malleable activities every day to keep pushing the ship in the general direction of the vision.

Sometimes, you have to deviate, but you have to keep readjusting the rudder and make sure you're headed in the correct direction, adapting to daily situations accordingly. You may not see the results straight away but you have to keep the faith that as you head in the right direction despite storms and rain, that you will finally see land.

To achieve this, patience is as important as the passion that brought you into business in the first place.

Some people call it tenacity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment