Sunday, October 14, 2012

Exercise update, Week 8


For the first time since I graduated from college, I've done eight straight weeks of exercising regularly. This week was particularly productive as I managed to workout six out of the seven days.
  • Monday: Rest day
  • Tuesday: 40 minute Plyometric Insanity session
  • Wednesday: 25 minute jog
  • Thursday: 35 minute Cardio Power Insanity session
  • Friday: 30 minute gym
  • Saturday: 2 hour basketball
  • Sunday: 1 hour hiking (morning), 30 minute gym (evening)
They say that it takes four weeks for you to see a change in your body, eight weeks for those close to you, and 12 weeks for the rest of people whom you meet with.

This is not really accurate in my case; even my wife, whom has the privilege to see me in various states of undress, still does not see much of a difference as evidenced in my conversations with her.

Maybe because I'm having a mixed routine without any specific focus, it's going to take longer for any changes to be seen. So doubling up the numbers, at eight weeks I'm now noticing some results. Hopefully, my wife starts noticing something (please God) by 16 weeks, and then the others by 24 weeks.

I think I'm seeing far more results in my physical performance (think clean, guys) than visually.

This week, I had the best two hours of basketball I've ever played for maybe five years. We played three hard games, full court, five on five in preparation for the upcoming tournament and I probably hit an average of four three-pointers in every game with maybe 75%-80% accuracy. I can actually do a proper jump shot now.

I'm slowly upping my gym routine, gradually increasing the weight that I use and the number of sets I do. I know it's still pretty light compared to others but I've moved on from 50 pounds to 70 for the bench press, increased my sets for bicep curls, improved on the weight for lat pull downs, and hold a 25 pound weight to my chest when I do sit ups now whilst maintaining the number of reps.

When I went hiking this morning, there's a pull up bar at the top of the hill. Previously, I had been stuck on doing three and then collapsing in pain. Using a reverse grip (which is easier!), I managed to do ten reps today when I tested whether I had improved.

I feel stronger, fitter and more capable of pushing harder without vomitting which I used to do quite easily in the past when I tried to push.

And to be honest, sometimes I wish some of these results could be translated more visually for the sake of my bruised and fragile ego (cue wife). But I started off with a skinny-fat build anyway; scrawny everywhere except the tyre around my waist so I was never going to be able to have significant results in body shape unless I really bulk up, which I'm not ready for just yet.

So in order of priority, it should be:
  • Get healthy and fitter
  • Get stronger
  • Get better looking
Keepin' it real.

0 comments:

Post a Comment