Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sick day


I've had food poisoning before and now I've experienced a whole different level of food poisoning.

In the past, it has consisted of a potential combination of diarrhea, vomiting and stomach cramps in various intensities. I would just have to make sure that I eat easily digestible foods for a couple of days, take plenty of fluids and drink sports drinks to replenish the salts.

This is the first time that the food poisoning has triggered a high fever, accompanied by bad joint aches and headaches. It was so bad that when I held a cup of water, the handle pressed on one of my finger joints and I almost dropped the cup. Everything hurt from my ankles, to my knees, my shoulders and elbows were especially painful, down to my fingers.

The doctor saw how bad it was and immediately gave me two days MC, not expecting me to recover by tomorrow and told me to go back to her on Thursday if it persisted, of which antibiotics would need to be prescribed for suspected bacterial infection.

I remember the last time I fell sick - it was in December 2010. The month that the baby was conceived. I was on heavy meds and completely down and out, so I thought that not using protection would be fine once or twice during that month (little did I know...).

Since that time, I haven't fallen sick at all. There have been days I had allergies which would go away after a night of sleep, and other days where I had mild food poisoning where I'd be fine in a few hours but for the longest time I had not succumbed to a bug.

I should have known that all good things come to an end. The question is whether after I recover from this, I can continue staying healthy.

At the very least, it's pretty clear that I won't be able to exercise until Friday at least and that's going to be a bit frustrating.

Let's hope that I'm back to full strength by the finals basketball game this Sunday because I'd hate to miss out after working so hard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment