Sunday, October 21, 2012

Exercise update, Week 9


What a lazy week it has been. It was so difficult to motivate myself to exercise. The baby was waking up at least three times a night because she's been having the flu; the effect of prolonged disrupted sleep completely saps away your energy and mojo to do anything at all.

Twice during the week, I resolved to exercise before dinner only to lie down on the couch and take a power nap before eating. Fortunately, on both days, I then started my workout at 10pm which is really not the ideal time because it takes me awhile to sleep after but at least I could feel that I dragged myself off my butt.

At the same time, I didn't want to push too hard in case I injured myself before the weekend's interchurch basketball tournament so it felt a bit like a rest week.
  • Monday: Rest day
  • Tuesday: 40 minute Plyometric Insanity session
  • Wednesday: 20 minute jog
  • Thursday: 30 minute gym
  • Friday: Rest day
  • Saturday: 30 minute basketball
  • Sunday: 1 hour hiking (morning), 30 minute basketball (afternoon)
Although I had the basketball tournament on both Saturday and Sunday, I was not in the starting line up and played off the bench but the intensity was so high that those short 2.5 to 8 minute sessions I was put on are causing quite a few aches now.

Since we won every game we've played so far, we made it to the finals which will be this coming Sunday, so I have to make sure that my exercise routine this week is not too heavy to keep me in prime condition to play.

On Sunday, you may have noticed I still went for my 8am hike with my parents. I considered staying home, getting my sleep and being in better condition for the game but I realised that these moments that my parents get to spend time with the baby are so very precious to them.

So this time, and every single time in the future, I'm going to choose what benefits the family because these are the truly priceless decisions which make life worthwhile. The smile on their faces and the joy my baby expresses makes it worthwhile.

Out of all the things I did yesterday, the 8am to 12pm noon family time was the most important of all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment