Sunday, November 4, 2012

Exercise update, Week 11


I had two questions this week.

Firstly, the basketball tournament just ended. Would I still have the motivation to exercise regularly? A big chunk of my motivation was so that I wouldn't keel over and vomit in the middle of a game.

Secondly, is the question I asked in my last exercise update post: whether I would be able to bring it to the next level and start seeing more tangible results.

To the first question, I can proudly answer yes. The day after the tournament, I hit the road and even did some hill running in TTDI park, which I don't think I ever want to try again - it's very challenging and my lower back was aching for the next three days...

To the second question, I have to be honest and answer no. This week's exercise effort revealed something to me - I'm not going to be able to pursue a detailed, specific plan for exercise. This is because it may be impossible for me to follow a set plan if I want to stay accountable to the criteria and conditions I set to my exercise, such as the following three.

1. Family comes first and family time cannot suffer for my exercise goals. This means I'll probably never be as fit or muscular as I want but it's a good and important trade off.

2. I don't spend money on exercise if possible. This rules out things like badminton, futsal and kickboxing. I'm barely making ends meet as it stands and it would be irresponsible of me to unnessarily spend. Especially if I can get fit without spending a cent - the only thing I sacrifice is a bit of fun for some of the sports I enjoy.

3. There are no rest days. If I can squeeze in exercise anytime, anywhere, I will do it no matter how tired or lazy I feel. There will be some days it will not be possible due to ministry and family commitments, or if I'm sick, and on those days, I just don't exercise and don't feel any guilt over it.

This is how my week looked:
  • Monday: 30 minute jog
  • Tuesday: 40 minute Plyometric Insanity session
  • Wednesday: 25 minute jog
  • Thursday: 30 minute gym
  • Friday: Rest day
  • Saturday: Rest day
  • Sunday: 1 hour hiking (morning), 25 minute jog (afternoon)
It's pretty clear that my plans to do more muscle work flew out of the window. Almost every workout was cardio based except for the single gym session that I managed to squeeze in at 10pm on Thursday night.

The most seamlessly integrated exercise is jogging around my parents-in-law's house because I request for a 25-minute favour before dinner, and there's no shortage of volunteers to play with baby during this period; my father-in-law would usually have just come home and would be itching to play with her.

So I'm just going to try maintain what I've been doing and keep it flexible - exercising at least 3 times a week and maintaining a good baseline fitness. I'll only reassess and try to bring it to the next level after the end of this year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment