Monday, September 9, 2013

Letter 16 (N)



Happy birthday, princess.

In the blink of an eye, you’re two years old…even though your terrible twos probably started six months ago! I really don’t know what I’m going to do with you. Even when I resolve to be stricter and tougher, I still tend to give in so easily.

Just last night, you wanted to keep on playing outside. I scolded you, switched off the lights and asked you to follow me to the room but you just sat there and screamed in the dark, stubbornly refusing to budge. Finally, mommy couldn’t bear to hear you crying and gently coaxed you into the bed with a warm bottle of milk.

I was upset but when I saw you falling asleep and still whimpering, I decided to hold you until you calmed down and nodded off. You spent the whole night waking me up; every time you stirred, you’d reach out to make sure I was still there, bury your head into my shoulder and leave your hand on my neck or face.

And just like that I am reminded of how much you need my support and reassurance as a father…until you grow older and get too smart for me, that is.

What a year it has been.

You now talk non-stop. If there’s anything I regret, maybe it’s teaching you the ‘question’ words so quickly.

Every time I get off the phone and you immediately ask, “What?” If you don’t get a satisfactory answer immediately, your volume increases at an exponential rate. “What? What you talking? Who on phone?”

If I go to the kitchen and sneak a chocolate in my mouth, even if I hide my chewing, you will always demand to know exactly what I’m eating each time I come back out.

When you want to know where someone is…”Where, grandpa?” “He’s busy.” “Busy, where?” “Busy playing badminton.” “Badminton where?” “Badminton in Lanai” “Lanai where?” “Lanai condo where they have the badminton courts.” “Lanai condo where?” “Remember we went there before to kick the ball?” “Ohhhh...where???”

“Why? Why? Why???”

It doesn’t stop. Ever.

And although it does annoy me sometimes, there are also times when I appreciate the questions. Every time we go on one of our excursions, it’s like a whole new adventure when I can see things through your eyes.

The park is no longer just a place where I do my run training anymore.

When I bring you along, it becomes a fantasy world where I slay dragons (we saw a large monitor lizard the other day), track baby monkeys through a hostile jungle, hunt down dangerous pigeons and become a tour guide, providing commentary for terrapin turtles. It’s a place where you do your fireman training, climbing up ladders and hanging from poles. It’s a place where you slide down a monstrous, curvy slide which you have aptly named the “snake slide”.

But one of the most rewarding things about taking you to the playground is being able to see you grow in confidence.

Just the other day, you stood outside the highest slide, reluctant to make your way down despite all my encouragements. As you nervously stood there, some boys ran past you to slide down and one of them inadvertently bumped into you ever so slightly. You were unbalanced for just a moment but the fear made you start crying. So I rushed up immediately to carry you down.

10 minutes later, I asked whether you wanted to try again. You tentatively nodded and I let you climb the stairs all the way to the top again. After cheering you on for awhile, you finally sat down at the top of the slide and took the plunge.

You arrived down safely into my arms and I told you “you did it!” You immediately gave the biggest smile and shouted “YAAYYYY, I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!” while jumping up and down with both fists straight up in the air. Then you turned back to me and laughed in unrestrained joy and I couldn’t help but laugh along.

I want you to know that I’m always going to be behind you, cheering you on in whatever you endeavour to do. And as you grow older, there are few things which will make me happier than being able to pat you on the back and to tell you, “Good job, Nat. You did it.”

Love,

Dad

0 comments:

Post a Comment