Thursday, December 5, 2013

Letter 5 (S)



Dear Sam Sam,

You're now the most beautiful six month old in the world. You have the most gorgeous smile in the universe and you make me smile every single day. Your mommy only has to send a photo over Whatsapp and I'm grinning from ear to ear.


I've always hesitated taking care of infants at the age where they can't really interact with you - below 1.5 years old - because I like to converse with them, tell them stories and hear their unique perspectives of the world around them. But I think that I'll have to make an exception with you.

You used to smile every time anyone talked to you but now it's reserved more often for those you recognise, which kind of makes me feel more special. When I play with you, you laugh out loud - you don't really know how to chuckle yet so your laugh sounds more like an extended "Ahhhhhhhhh" instead.

You really have been such a blessing to our family. Although the near perfect behaviour in your first three months didn't last, you're still quite easy to take care of. You may not fall asleep on your own but I only have to carry you for five minutes before you usually do. You're more restless than before when carried but it's only because you're so curious to see everything around you and not miss anything.

We recently had a baby dedication in church and your mummy and I were proud to be able to commit to raising you as best we can, while trusting in the hand of God over your life to protect and guide you every step of the way.


As 'perfect' as you have been, there is one small complaint I'd like to make. Your capacity to poo is astounding. I'm not going to put up any pictures but we've already moved you on to larger, more absorbent diapers...and still, your poo will spill out if we don't realise IMMEDIATELY that you have done it. It's incredible how much there is and a real pain to clean, especially when we're out.

And because you're always so 'good' about it, you don't even cry when you've soiled yourself. You don't complain. You don't change the way you act. You continue as normal, as though you were completely comfortable, laughing, cooing, and playing with the most relaxed expression on your face. If we don't catch that momentary 'pushing' expression while you're actually doing it, chances are, we don't know until we pick you up and the whole back of your shirt is stained, as well as whatever you may be lying on.

You've got to get that under control, please. If not, I'll have to rename you Ms Poo Machine...seriously, it's gross. But I think I'll just have to put up with it for now, since you've been such a good girl.

It's been a wonderful journey for your mummy and I, and not a day goes by that we don't thank God for you and your sister, whom by the way loves you very much. She will soon be able to take care of you responsibly - currently, she's a bit rough even when she's trying to be affectionate but her intentions are always out of love.

You'll be having your very first Christmas soon where you'll be meeting all your uncles and aunties from overseas. I'm looking forward to this Christmas season more than I remember the last few years and a big part of that is because of you. Somehow, you just make everything a little bit brighter and more joyful in my life.

I love you.

Love,

Dad

0 comments:

Post a Comment