Thursday, February 6, 2014

Fitness Review


In January 2013, I made some fitness goals to try to accomplish by December 2013. I haven't updated on it because I had such a terrible end to the year in terms of exercise - mainly due to falling sick after the marathon and staying sick for four whole months. It was a horrendous experience and I hope that I never have to go through it again.

Right before the marathon, I was feeling at the fittest I had ever been for many years and immediately after until the end of the year, I was feeling weaker than I had felt for many years so I can't really judge whether I've truly made any significant progress.

One indicator will be on whether I managed to accomplish the fitness goals I set although it doesn't give the full picture. Well, here it goes.

  • 10 proper pull ups: Can do 6. Started the year at 3. Improvement.
  • 50 proper push-ups: Can do 20. Started the year at 30. Worsened.
  • 2 minute plank: Can do 60 seconds. Started at 40 seconds. Slight improvement.
  • To be able to deadlift my own weight (58kg): I recently did one rep of 120kg. Started at 50kg. Big improvement.
  • 5km run in 25 minutes: At my peak 18 minutes 30 seconds before marathon. Now at over 26 minutes. Accomplished.
  • Finish 21km in an official run event: Ran 2 half marathons and 1 full marathon. Accomplished and will probably never try the full again!!!

Well, I can't exactly say I did great or accomplished all the goals that I set, as conservative as they were. But I did have progress in a few of the areas and I'm pretty happy about them.

This year I don't think I'm going to set any goals. There are just too many changes and things on my plate so I'm going back to targeting exercise three times a week if possible and seeing where it goes from there. In terms of what types of exercise I'm going to focus on, I'm not sure at all but definitely a lot less running and hopefully, more weight work and maybe even some crossfit here and there.

Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment