Thursday, December 14, 2023

2023 Reflections



Dear Sarah,

Every year, you grow in such beauty, depth and grace. And this year, I had the incredible privilege of seeing you step out with so much courage into a new season of studying, knowing that it would be a strain on you as a mother, full-time student and pastor.

I've seen God use it to draw out so much of what He has placed within you, and also how you are growing in your belief that He has called you and is preparing you for amazing things ahead. So many have already been impacted by the compassion and tenderness that you have journeyed with them.

I'm so grateful that I get front row seats to witness how God is going to grow and blossom you into the person He has created you to be. You're the best part of my life.


Dear Nat,

It hasn't been an easy year, has it? You had to say goodbye to some of the closest and most supportive friends you've ever had in your life, and move to a new school to start all over again.

At the same time, your ballet involvement has put even more strain on an already difficult season. I still can't wrap my mind around you needing to go for nine classes a week during competition season!

But Nat, you made it through. It's never easy as a parent to see your child cry, but when I see the person you've grown to be this year, I feel that maybe it's all worth it. You're stronger, smarter and more beautiful after facing and overcoming so many challenges.

I'm proud to call you my daughter.


Dear Sam-Sam,

You're still the most giving and compassionate one in the family. This year, I saw you have moments of making more choices for yourself and they were uncomfortable because you were wondered if you were being selfish.

But let me assure you that it's perfectly fine to sometimes consider yourself since you're a person that naturally thinks of others first. Without taking care of yourself, how can you continue to bring the best of yourself to the world?

Thank you for being the best older sister Ally could ask for, and the best friend and confidante that Nat-Nat will ever find in her life.

You are so treasured in this family.


Dear Ally,

I think I've been unfair to you this year and I'm sorry. I realise that I've been holding you to the same standard as your older sisters, and sometimes I forget that you're quite a bit younger than them.

As a parent, it can be more convenient to set the same expectations for all your children than trying to explain to the older siblings why the youngest gets more grace. So more often than not, I've taken the easy way out.

But looking back, it has caused you to question your place in the family when you can't match the standards expected. You've had to play games and do activities meant for older children just so you could feel a bit more accepted by your sisters.

Next year, I know what I want to do more. Let's spend time together in a way that lets you enjoy and discover yourself as a child. My very beloved and precious child.


Dear Roger,

This year, more than any other, you have felt the paradox of life as a Jesus follower.

It has been a season of such flux and crushing, both in your identity and in your circumstances, but in the midst of intense uncertainties, you have also come to a deeper sense that you are closer to the God's will for your life than ever before.

It has been a season of invisibility and insignificance, but what would have destroyed the previous man who needed to make sense and see validation in everything, has instead started to teach you how to wait and be just a tiny bit more malleable in character.

In many ways, it should have felt like a wasted year by the world's standards because of how little fruit you saw and experienced, but somehow, I can sense that you feel a deeper appreciation for God's hand, love and grace upon you and your family.

What a year. May you continue to be found grateful, not because of anything you've done or achieved, but because of Christ in it.


Love,

Papati

0 comments:

Post a Comment