Monday, May 16, 2011

Farewell


This is the start of my final week in the place which has taken its spot in my heart as home when I think about work.

When I graduated and started working, I was in no less than 5 jobs in 5 months. I had no idea what I wanted to do and I just didn't like what I saw in the places I started in.

My friend told me about a job he'd seen in Jobstreet, which he was applying for and forwarded the link to me. I applied and got the job.

He didn't.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Other than a 6 month stint helping my mom with her start up business, I have been here for 6 years now. What started as a short-term stepping stone while I looked for an ideal job just kept falling in the category of 'not time to leave yet' year after year.

The first year an unlikely and unexpected promotion kept me there. The second and third year, I took the opportunity to complete a grueling MBA part time while working. In the fourth year, I started actually enjoying myself and learning on the job. In the fifth year, I received another promotion. And now in the sixth year, I'm finally moving on.

I'd probably never really admit it in person but I'm really going to miss this place. I found some meaningful friendships here (even though it's rare for me to be actually making friends!) and learnt a lot as an individual, sometimes through rather challenging and unsavoury circumstances. But on the whole, when I look back, my experience here has been fulfilling and positive.

It's sad to think that I'm actually moving on permanently now. I don't see myself coming back and it's a little scary to be without the usual safety nets and the comfort of well-defined processes I could hide behind.

Well, maybe I might consider coming back. But potentially only for the reason a certain 'Auntie' is aware of. However, we'll save that for another post, shall we?

0 comments:

Post a Comment