Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Reading bug


Since the beginning of the year, I’ve really caught the reading bug almost to an obsessive level. I can’t stop reading and am particularly inclined to sci-fi and fantasy books. Once I start a book, I will read it until I finish it even if I read until 3 to 4am, and even if I have work the next day.

So far, I’ve read 34 books in less than four months and I’m halfway through book 35…that’s more than 8 books a month…and more than 2 books a week.

Here’s what I’ve read so far.

Orson Scott Card (Ender’s Game series): Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, First Meetings, Ender in Exile, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant.

Verdict: The moment I read ‘Ender’s game’ and then ‘Ender’s Shadow’, I was hooked. If you want some good sci-fi, this is a good place to start.

R. A. Salvatore (The Legend of Drizzt): Homeland, Exile, Sojourn, The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, The Halfling’s Gem, The Legacy, Starless Night, Siege of Darkness, Passage to Dawn, The Silent Blade, The Spine of the Word, Sea of Swords.

Verdict: There are 22 books in this series. I’ve read 13 and am halfway through book 14. This was one of the most addictive series I’ve ever read. I’d buy 3 books at a time and finish all 3 within 2 days without much sleep. If you like fantasy books, Lord of the Rings style, with Orcs, elves, dwarves and lots of adventure, this is amazing.

Peter V. Brett: The Warded Man, The Painted Spear.

Verdict: The upside is that both these books are rather well written fantasy books. The downside is that it’s very current and the author is only writing the third book right now.

Dean Koontz: Breathless.

Verdict: I have a series of Dean Koontz books in my phone in e-book format and decided to start on one. I barely finished it; it was so boring. I won’t be going back to the others unless I run out of things to read.

Jim Butcher: Furies of Calderon, Academ’s Fury, Cursor’s Fury, Captain’s Fury, Princep’s Fury, First Lord’s Fury.

Verdict: I got hooked on Jim Butcher last year when I read his series on The Dresden Files…all 12 books although he may have come out with a couple more since then. His books don’t drag me deeply into a new world like some of the other fantasy books but that’s partly why I like it; it’s not so heavy, is more relaxing and I can take breaks from the reading without feeling like I’m going to miss something exciting. There are better fantasy authors out there but his books are worth the read.

George R. R. Martin: Game of Thrones

Verdict: I discovered the movie before I discovered the book which goes against one of my preferences, which is to read the book before watching the movie. This is why I’ve only read the first book although I do plan on finished the entire series by this year. Very well-written and enjoyable fantasy adventure.

Suzanne Collins: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay.

Verdict: Fortunately, I discovered the books early this time and I managed to read all 3 and have not watched the movie yet. These were quick reads because they were far shorter than the general length of these type of books but the storyline was fast-paced and engaging, while making you question on a psychological level how you would respond by being in that kind of situation. The first book ripped off a Japanese movie which I found very disturbing though – Battle Royale.

I think I’m going to take a break from reading for the rest of this month to recuperate and catch up with my sleep. But I have the next 3 books of the Drizzt series sitting on my table for me to devour once I’m ready to start on them. Hopefully, I can wait until May.

0 comments:

Post a Comment