Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fantasy Football



I’ve been hooked on this game for the last 4 seasons, and we’re about to enter the next season. Basically, you buy a squad with a limited budget and depending on how the player does in real life games, you get points.

There’s so much luck and yet so much skill involved, and once you get into the flow of things, you may only need to spend 5 minutes each week making one trade (more than one trade in a week deducts points).

Over the last 4 years, I’ve played a rather risky strategy. I don’t only take calculated risks; I go for broke and hope for the best. It's more fun that way.

For those who know the game, I’ll walk through my current line up (which may change before the start of the season).

The first thing I did was to hunt for bargains in each position.

GK: Federici, Jaaskelainen, Davis, Green, Ruddy (all pretty much guaranteed starters at a price of 4.5)

Defenders: Tierney, Demel both at 4.0 and will start. So many at 4.5 with potential such as Fabio (very attacking fullback), Shorey and Harte (both great free-kick takers), Hooiveld. I put in Jenkinson at 4.5 because there is a chance he may start due to Sagna’s broken leg – it’s worth the risk to get a top team’s defender so cheaply.

Midfielders: Noble takes free-kicks for West Ham and Maloney plays in the hole for Wigan if he can stay fit, and they’re both only 5.0. I’ve opted for Maloney hoping that he will start in an advanced position and be part of the goals and assists early in the season. I’ve also put in Taarabt and Pienaar who are cheap midfielders whom I think have the chance to explode this year. Taarabt is central to QPR’s attacking creativity and has a free role to express himself and Pienaar always does awesome for Everton whom has just bought him.

Forwards: I looked for a cheap assured starter and am settled on Pogrebnyak at 5.0 for now. He has a double gameweek right at the beginning and if he doesn’t do well, I’ll swap him out.

Then I looked at the funds freed up and put in more expensive players whom I hope will bring in the goods across the season.

GK: I’m taking a big risk that De Gea will be the key keeper for Man Utd despite heavy competition from Lindegaard. 6.0 for a top 3 team keeper with a good defensive record would be amazing.

Defenders: Ashley Cole is cheaper this season than previous seasons (from 7.0 to 6.5) and if he maintains his attacking approach, there is huge potential for points. Lescott is the cheapest route into Man City’s title winning defence right now at 6.5.

Midfielders: If Gareth Bale stays fit, 9.5 should be cheap because I’m expecting him to dominate this year especially with a particularly easy fixture list for Tottenham in the first 5 games – you just worry whether the other midfield stars will share the spoils and drain his points haul. Hazard is a big risk because he is unproven in the league and has had a poor pre-season and if he has a poor first couple of games, he is the first person I’ll swap out with Yaya Toure in my sights to replace him.

Forwards: I’m worried that I don’t have points machine RVP and superstar Rooney in my team, and this could be the difference that makes me fail terribly at this game this year. I’ve put in Torres, who I’m hoping will breakthrough this year after a horrific career so far at Chelsea. And I’m hoping that Aguero doesn’t suffer from Mancini’s rotation policy because this guy is absolute class.

So I’m going for broke to start the season with a bang or maybe it will pop with a fizzle. I’m heavily banking on Chelsea and Man City doing well early on, and if everything blows up in my face, I’m hoping that the 6 players with double gameweeks will keep me afloat until Week 3 when I may use my wildcard (God forbid) to change up everything depending on how each players starts the season.

Those on my watchlist if my team doesn’t perform are as follows.

GK: Foster, Friedel

Defenders: Baines

Midfielders: Noble, Valencia, Mata, Allen, VDV

Forwards: Jelavic, Rooney, RVP, Defoe

I have a nagging feeling that my lack of Rooney and RVP in my team, the two most expensive and impactful players in the game, will blow up in my face.

But that’s what makes it so exciting.

I can’t wait for the season to start!

0 comments:

Post a Comment