Thursday, August 9, 2012

Letter 7 (N)



Dear Natalie,

You’re exactly 11 months old today and you’re growing up way too fast for your daddy to accept. Just a few days ago, while we were on our family trip to Cameron Highlands, you started getting the courage to walk a couple of steps without holding on to anything.

You took up to four steps but each step was as steady as rock. I think you could have gone on much further but four steps is the current limit of your faith in your legs. There’s no rush though…take your time.

We’re starting to bond a lot more, you and I. Up till almost 7 months old, every time mummy left for a long period of time, you would always look for her and cry for her. The last couple of months, you’ve started to trust me more and accepted me as one of your primary caregivers.

(Mummy’s rather jealous about this but that’s her problem.) And I’m slowly gaining more confidence to the extent where I’m not OK to bring you out to the mall or to hang out with friends, without the safety net of everything at home – the tools, toys, bed, etc.

The other night, we went grocery shopping at IPC (you loved riding in the trolley), then explored IKEA, and finally went to meet up with good friends for bubble tea. You behaved yourself brilliantly and I am so proud of you.

You melt my heart in so many ways. When you were 4 months old, it was when you fell asleep on my chest. When you were 8 months old, it was when you did your sloppy, wet kiss on my cheek. And now that you’re 11 months old, it’s when you snuggle up on my shoulder and whisper “Papa” in my ear.

I have a confession to make. Sometimes, when your mommy has fallen asleep, I crawl down to your mattress on the floor and sleep next to you for half an hour to an hour before going back to my bed. Even though I don’t disturb you, you always seem to sense that I’m there and crawl over to plonk your head on my arm or chest, only to continue sleeping.

These moments are so precious to me.

My prayer is, and continues to be, that you grow up knowing how much your mother and I love you. And when the time comes, that you’ll also come to know the love of God in your life in so much abundance.

Love,

Dad

0 comments:

Post a Comment