Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dreams


Follow your dreams.

Do what you love.

Step out of the comfort zone.

Take the plunge.

This is the type of stuff that this current generation is told, practically on a daily basis.

The problem is that we haven’t been trained to wait; there isn’t a strong capacity to endure and stick it out until there’s breakthrough.

And it’s not like I don’t know what it feels like.

I have my own dreams as well. I want to build at least one successful business. I know that I have a full time call on my life and that at some point, I will pursue this vocation fully. There are so many things I want to learn and improve in – how to code, playing the guitar, all sorts of sports.

Even though I haven’t fulfilled my dreams, I’ve not sat back and done nothing. I’ve put my heart and soul into building a business, but part-time, because it’s completely bootstrapped and has to generate its own revenue and cash to sustain operations without capital injection. It’s slowly building but the breakthrough hasn’t fully come yet although I know deep inside that it will.

I’m as involved in church ministry as I can stretch myself and no, this is not a given for the spouse of a minister. I’ve seen plenty of spouses step back especially when the kids come and it is a choice and sacrifice to continue to keep the hands to the plow day in, day out.

Although I have no clue on how to code, I’ve registered an account at codeacademy.com and will start trying it out soon. I play the guitar when I do my devotions and for cell group when I can, and I try to plan in exercise in my weekly routine.

But I haven’t gone out and really taken the plunge in any of them simply because, I can’t. I’m responsible to take care of my family and it would be impossible right now to prioritise my dreams.

It doesn’t mean that I’ll never achieve them – I’ll definitely do what I can to fulfil them although maybe not to the level that I would have originally wanted to. At the same time, it means that I can build new dreams, and see them come to pass in the lives of my family instead of myself. It’s a worthwhile trade-off, a thousand times over.

And I believe I will feel the same way when my daughter grows up and fulfils her dreams. But I think I’ll settle for if looks back on her childhood and realises that she grew up happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment