Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Upbringing



I get slightly irritated when people around me tell me that I didn’t train Nat to be open to those around her or to be adaptable to different environments. She’s currently labelled as rather unfriendly, fierce and demanding.

I think we have exposed her more than most babies I’ve seen.

We’ve taken her on so many trips: YA Retreat at Gold Coast Morib (6 weeks old), HUGE camp at Port Dickson (4.5 months old), Bintan, Indonesia and Singapore (6 months old), Kuala Selangor (8 months old), and Kampar and Cameron Highlands (10.5 months old).

We bring her on ministry trips and full days/weekends at church when we’re serving. And we don’t hold back on letting people carry her unless she is starting to scream…at that point, it doesn’t help to let a ‘stranger’ take her away because she associates it with distress.

Hey day care center has around 8 or 9 kids of which she plays with every weekday from 9am to 5pm.

So one thing I hope people can start to realise is that sometimes the parenting style may not be the issue; sometimes a child’s personality and innate disposition plays a big part as well.

I fully concede that she is fierce and demanding. And that she is not open to other people carrying her if she can help it. Everything she wants, she needs to get within a split second or the protests start (in full volume).

One time I put a bracelet around her arm, she tried to remove it in one pull and it didn’t fully come off, she screamed and cried, then tried again and immediately stopped fussing when it came off.

That’s who she is.

And before she was born, I was pretty sure that the kind of person I am would love a sweet, perfect daughter far more than a bratty, screaming infant.

But I’ve come to realise that it’s not the case. I could not love my daughter any more than I do.

She is the cutest, smartest, most wonderful girl that I’ve ever met (other than my wife). She is absolutely fearless and strong. She lives her life with zest and passion.

I don’t care if I’m biased. Because I am.

And I don’t care if she’s got me wrapped around her little finger. I willingly allow myself to be.

Because no one else deserves that honour but my baby girl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment