Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Why I prefer the Kindle to the Ipad


My wife got me a Kindle Touch for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. About a month before that I won the new Ipad in an online competition. So I got to test out both for the first time (I had never had a tablet product or reader before this).

Both are pretty awesome devices but at the end of the day, I have to confess that I prefer what I get out of the Kindle which is a bit of a surprise because the Ipad can obviously do so much more.

So what is the main reason why I enjoy the Kindle more? Immersive reading.

The Kindle allows me to read through books properly for the following reasons:

1. The E Ink text is just so much easier on the eyes (and I'm not fussy about this because I've read over 20 books in the first quarter of the year on my smartphone). I wouldn't have known the difference until I tried it out.
2. It's small, light and easy to hold with one hand and carry around.
3. The battery life is awesome. Over the last 3 weeks, I've only had to charge once so it's pretty much a non-issue.
4. Most importantly, there's no distraction. I open it up to immerse myself into a book and it doesn't encourage me to do anything else.

The Ipad is great for many other things...quite a few of which are rather unproductive distractions.

I use it for all my social media, e-mailing, watching Youtube, reading quick articles using Flipboard and Pulse, surfing the Internet, and playing games. Of course, I do have some productivity apps on it but they are not fundamentally what I spend time using.

I tried reading actual novels on the Ipad and although it's not a negative reading experience, there's always the temptation to swipe it aside for awhile and check out Facebook for a bit, or destress with a quick game.

My whole working day is already filled with multi-tasking and switching back and forth between different work tasks and sometimes social media; the Ipad builds on and encourages this 'ADD feeling'.

So when I'm on the train or winding down on my couch, the Kindle helps to get away from that, just like how a good book in my hand used to in the past.

This probably doesn't apply to a lot of people - I'm finding that people read less and less these days. But for me, I'm still an obsessed bookworm all the way. I may not find much time nowadays but I definitely set aside more time for reading than most people I know.

And this is why I love the Kindle.

0 comments:

Post a Comment