Friday, October 5, 2012

Finishing strong


I’ve started to appreciate the concept of finishing strong quite a bit more ever since I began the ‘exercise more regularly’ initiative in August.

The way you finish can significantly determine the quality of your workout.

When I first started doing the Insanity sessions, I would try to push as much as I can but many times I’d feel like vomiting and have to stop before I even reach the halfway mark of the video session. Nowadays, I listen more to my body and pace myself at a level which gives me a good sweat out but yet allows me to reach the last part of the workout, where I give it my all.

It’s the same when I jog. I really don’t enjoy it so to keep going more than 5 minutes is a true mental obstacle to be overcome. But no matter how many stops, starts and rests I’ve had, when it comes down to that last lap, I push all the way, faster and further than earlier in the session.

There is an immense difference in the final quality of the workout.

I end each session bathed in sweat, panting, with my muscles screaming. I’m on a high mentally because I know that at my body’s most fatigued point, I gave one last, big push and I overcame the last, ambitious goal.

I’ve tried doing those pushes at the earlier or middle parts of the workout but the result is not the same. There is something about the finish line that is so critically important.

And this applies to my life as well. The way I finish is so integral to everything I do.

In tough seasons, it’s what determines whether the purpose of going through it is realised and how powerfully. It affects what you actually learn and how much capacity you build.

At work and business, it determines the final outcome and success. Sometimes, even if everything has been done wrongly prior, a change at the 11th hour or a couple of all-nighters can turn around a failing project to be the best work you’ve ever done.

In ministry, Murphy’s law happens and nothing has gone right that week. Family emergencies, dropping the ball at work, your health breaks down, and the last thing you want to do is get up on stage and sing about the victory of Christ. But at that point when you feel beyond tired, you cry out to God and He moves in a way and anointing that you’ve never experienced before because it’s almost like He’s waiting for you to be emptied of yourself before He steps in.

And ultimately even in our walk of faith. We could have never found God our whole lives but if five minutes before we pass, we discover Him, and sincerely ask Him into our hearts, the same crown of salvation is bestowed as upon any believer who’s known God for their whole lives.

This is not to say that the start and the middle aren’t important. If you don’t start, you’ll never accomplish anything at all. And if you don’t go through the process, there’s nothing to consolidate at the end of the day that is of substance.

But the end is sometimes underemphasised. That’s what brings it together. I believe the learning happens mainly at the finishing stretch and not in the middle.

The point where you realise what it’s all been for and begin to step forward.

The point where you realise that there’s a bigger picture and embrace it fully.

Finishing strong. It matters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment