Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Of sorrow and joy


Yesterday was a rather tough day for me. A friend and colleague of mine got into an accident on the way to work and didn't make it. I think it's the first time that I've dealt with a sudden death of someone young and healthy within such close proximity to me (he sits next to me everyday at work).

I can't even remember how many times I cried at work and then had to address different groups of people to inform them of what happened. The most difficult, by far, was when I had to speak to his immediate team.

Then I found out later that night that another friend and distant cousin-in-law had been mugged and slashed repeatedly across the back of his head in the evening. Thank God he is alive and well after surgery and recovering smoothly in the hospital.

The events really made me reflect on how precious life is and therefore when the wife and I went for her second check up today, it was particularly meaningful for us; the reminder on the fragility of life made us appreciate how miraculous and beautiful the life that God gives is.

I cannot express to you the amount of joy, excitement and nervousness I felt as I looked at the little peanut on the screen but maybe you'll be able to experience a part of it here.

At first, I wondered at having a blog post with the concepts of new life and sudden death so close together but I decided to leave it as it is because I realised that this is part of the reality and truth of living in this world, and I choose to face it head on.

I didn't think that I could reconcile my feelings of such sorrow and joy at the same time but somehow I have been able to bring both together through having the peace and faith that God has everything in His hands...and that we can always trust him implicitly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment